Here's a list of the top 8 symbols that have been frequently connected to the Holy Spirit.
- The dove. One of the most familiar images of the spirit is a dove. There is a well-known bible passage/biblical event associated with this symbol found in Matthew 3:16, "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him."
- Water. Water holds a lot of symbolic value, during Baptism where the Holy Spirit is present, we are reborn.
- Fire. At Pentecost it revealed itself in this form, transforming the disciples that were present.
- Anointing Oil. We are anointed with oil just as Christ was anointed with the Holy Spirit's presence. The oil serves as both a symbol and a reminder of the Holy Spirit.
- Cloud and Light. In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit worked through clouds and light to reveal or obscure God's messages.
- The Seal. The Holy Spirit prepares the heart and mind to be in perfect harmony with Jesus by placing a seal, which is a permanent mark on our souls.
- The Hand. Where hands are laid in order to heal it is said to be the Holy Spirit that is the healing agent.
- The Finger. Holy Spirit is sometimes depicted as the "finger of the Father's right hand."